Dec 23 2018
Reeds Mill Church - Christmas Candlelight Service
Time: 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Location: Reeds Mill Road, Madrid TwpLook for the church signs on Reeds Mill Road
(bring a flash light!)
In 1831, a group of people with names like Sargent, Wheeler, Huntoon, and Wing met in the schoolhouse to discuss the formation of a church in Reeds Mill.
There are many records of monthly, and semi-monthly planning meetings. Records are scarce; however, the original deed dated April 1892 shows the track of land being donated by Lewis Reed near his home and mill. One condition – the property had to be used as a church. For years, Lewis Reed operated a sawmill on the rugged Orbeton Stream. The Sandy River and Rangeley Lake Railroad went past the Toothaker Pond colony, formerly known as Berlin Mills, picking up lumber from the Reed sawmill, taking it to market.
The church was officially organized on Sept. 17, 1831 with 32 members, as The Church of Christ, a branch of the Phillips church. They voted that Deacon Abel Cook take the lead at the meetings. The church was not just a fluke – it was serious business. Records show committees were appointed to visit members ‘considered delinquent and wayward’. Several of the brethern (and their wives) found themselves after such visits either "dismissed by letter" or "excluded as a disorderly walker". In 1833, an auxiliary missionary and temperance society was formed, the forerunner of the Reeds Mill Circle. A Sunday School was started in 1838.
In wasn't until 1892 (that's 61 years later) that the church building became ready for occupancy.